How's something like this for a quick and simple cucumber salad with a touch of chili for an extra zing. This is a perfect side dish to go with grilled meat.
Table of contents
Why We Love This Dish
- I love it because it uses only six ingredients
- It's very refreshing
- This salad is my go-to favorite especially in the summertime when we do a lot of grilling!
- Red Onions
- Rice Vinegar
- Brown Sugar
- Dried Chili Pepper
Key Ingredients Notes
This recipe uses dried chili pepper which can be found in your grocery store located. Try it with just using one, and when you're ready to be adventurous, go for more. The rice vinegar and brown sugar temper the spiciness of the chili pepper.
How To Make This Dish
- Thinly cut slices of cucumbers and red onions. Mix rice wine vinegar, brown sugar, and dried chili pepper. Pour mixture on top of sliced vegetables. Top with cilantro. Chill and serve.
- Rice Vinegar is made from fermented rice and is, therefore, less acidic than regular vinegar and has a very delicate, mild, and somewhat sweet flavor. It’s commonly used in marinades and salad dressings, and for pickling vegetables.
- Mirin which is a type of rice wine can be used as an alternative to using Rice Vinegar. Do note that if you use Mirin, you can omit the brown sugar in this recipe. Mirin has a sweet flavor and has a slightly thick consistency. Mirin has a low alcohol content and therefore is considered more of a Rice Wine Vinegar variety.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes. Note that vinegar will wilt the vegetables the longer it is set on it. So keep that in mind.
Promptly place it in the refrigerator in a sealed container within 1 to 2 hours of serving. And IF you even have any leftover store in the coldest part of the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. Well-wrapped leftovers can be kept in the freezer for up to three months.
Yes. Thinly sliced carrots, red cabbage, bean sprouts, or any other vegetables you like on your salad, would go well with this recipe.
Other Recipes To Try
- 1 Cucumber thinly sliced
- ¼ cup Red Onion thinly sliced
- ¼ cup Rice Wine Vinegar
- ½ t Brown Sugar
- Sprig of Cilantro
- 1 Dried Red Chili Pepper
- Cut thin slices of cucumber and red onions; put them in a bowl.
- Mix rice wine vinegar, brown sugar, and dried chili pepper.
- Pour mixture on top of sliced cucumbers and onions. Top with cilantro.
- This salad is great served as a side dish with meat or seafood.
- Goes perfectly with our Caramelized Shrimp recipe.
- The best type of cucumber to use is seedless, as some types with seeds tend to taste a bit bitter.
- You can either peel or leave the skin on the cucumber.
Hello and welcome, friend! I'm Jocelyn, the recipe developer, food photographer + stylist here at JOZmahal. As a Food & Nutrition major, I keep healthy and nutritious ingredients at the core of my recipe creations. I love to cook delicious and healthy meals for my family and friends. And I am so grateful that you are here as I hope to inspire and empower you to make all these delicious and healthy foods at home for your family and friends as well. Every recipe you will find here is quick and simple to make using fresh and natural ingredients that you can easily find at your local grocery store if not online. Read more about me here...
PS: If you try any of my recipes please use the tag #JOZmahalrecipes and you may be featured in my upcoming posts! ~ cook with love, my friend!