Why go out to eat when you can make this Thai-inspired Chicken and Vegetables in Red Curry Sauce dish at home? It's made with fresh vegetables and chicken so it's super healthy and delicious! and it only takes 30 minutes to make!
Table of contents
Why We Love This Dish
- It tastes like restaurant food, a very good restaurant food!
- It's a one-pot meal so talk about easy clean-up which my husband really likes.
- It's kid-approved!
- Olive Oil
- Chicken Breasts
- Coconut Milk
- Red Curry Paste
- Coconut Sugar
- Fish Sauce
- Green Beans
- Baby Bokchoy
- Red Bell Pepper
- Green Bell Pepper
- Shiitake Mushrooms
- Kaffir Lime Leaves
Key Ingredients Notes
This recipe uses Kaffir Lime Leaves which I ordered from Amazon. What's great with this is that you can freeze it! And when you use it, it tastes as fresh as the day you bought it. This ingredient is the secret to authentic Thai-flavored dishes. Other than Amazon, you can also buy kaffir lime leaves from most Asian food stores. You can find these leaves usually with other dried herbs, in the freezer section, or with other fresh produce.
How To Make This Dish
- STEP 1: Lightly fry the chicken breast.
- STEP 2: We prepare the fragrant ingredients - red curry paste, fish sauce, coconut sugar and coconut milk.
- STEP 3: Add the the vegetables.
- STEP 4: Put the chicken back in the curry mixture.
Frequently Asked Questions
Kaffir lime leaves can be kept in a plastic bag or a glass jar for up to a week and stored in the refrigerator. Or they can be stored for up to a year, in the freezer by placing the leaves in a tightly sealed plastic bag.
The kaffir leaf has a potent citrus flavor that is sour, with a floral undertone. It is best compared to a combination of lime, lemon, and mandarin, and is unique in taste.
You can use lemon and lime zest in place of kaffir lime leaves. Make sure to only use the zest from these fruits and not the pith (the spongy white tissue lining the rind of any citrus fruits). The pith is bitter, while the zest offers the same strong citrus flavor needed for this recipe.
🥘 Other Recipes To Try
- 2 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Chicken Breasts sliced
- 13.5 fluid ounce Lite Coconut Milk
- 2 ounces Red Curry Paste
- 2 Tablespoon Organic Coconut Sugar
- 2 Tablespoon Fish Sauce
- 1 small Eggplant sliced in wedges
- 1 cup String Beans or Green Beans cut 2" long
- 2 Baby Bokchoy cut 1" long
- ½ cup Red Bell Pepper cut into ¼" strips
- ½ cup Green Bell Pepper cut into ¼" strips
- 3 fresh Shiitake Mushrooms cut into ¼" strips
- 6 Kaffir Lime Leaves shredded
- In a warm skillet over medium-high heat, put olive oil, then lightly fry sliced chicken breast. Don't overcook it! As this will make the meat become tough. Should take no more than 4 minutes. Set meat aside.
- In the same pan, add oil as needed, then add the red curry paste, stir until fragrant. Add fish sauce and coconut sugar, stir well. Then add the coconut milk. Mix the ingredients together.
- Add the vegetables in the order that it's written above. Give it about two minutes each. This will ensure all the vegetables cook at the same time. Add the kaffir lime leaves last.
- Put the chicken back in the curry mixture. Season to taste adding fish sauce and/or sugar as desired.
- You can use frozen kaffir lime leaves, although, I have found mine fresh at Amazon.
- Check out my other blog post on how to freeze kaffir lime leaves for future use.
- If you can't find green string beans (which can be found in Asian markets, you can substitute regular green beans).
- You can use dried shiitake mushrooms in place of fresh ones. Prepare as instructed on package.
- You may substitute dried shiitake mushrooms. Soak them in warm water for about 5 minutes first, then remove hard stems).
- Adjust the coconut sugar and fish sauce as desired. Start with 2T, then add 1T at a time to get to your desired flavor profile.
- Serve with steamed white rice.
Hello and welcome, friend! I'm Jocelyn, the recipe developer, food photographer + stylist here at JOZmahal. As a Food & Nutrition major, I keep healthy and nutritious ingredients at the core of my recipe creations. I love to cook delicious and healthy meals for my family and friends. And I am so grateful that you are here as I hope to inspire and empower you to make all these delicious and healthy foods at home for your family and friends as well. Every recipe you will find here is quick and simple to make using fresh and natural ingredients that you can easily find at your local grocery store if not online. Read more about me here...
PS: If you try any of my recipes please use the tag #JOZmahalrecipes and you may be featured in my upcoming posts! ~ cook with love, my friend!