Easy and tasty recipe for Zucchini Blossom Pizza that only takes 10 minutes to make! This is perfect for a quick weeknight or weekend meal.
You'll only need fresh zucchini blossoms, cheese, olive oil, garlic and naan bread.
- What are Zucchini Blossoms?
- When are Zucchini Blossoms in Season?
- When can I Harvest Zucchini Blossoms?
- How to Harvest Zucchini Blossoms
- What's the Difference Between a Male and Female Zucchini Blossoms?
- How Do Zucchini Blossoms Taste?
- Is there a Difference in Flavor Between Male and Female Zucchini Blossoms?
- Ingredients Needed
- How To Make This Dish
- Top Tip
- 📖 Recipe Card
- 💬 Reviews
What are Zucchini Blossoms?
Zucchini blossoms are the flowers that bloom from a zucchini plant, when a zucchini fruit is about to emerge. The Zucchini blossoms are bright yellow in color and they are edible.
When are Zucchini Blossoms in Season?
The blossoms start to appear from a zucchini plant in late spring or early summer and can be found all the way into the fall.
When can I Harvest Zucchini Blossoms?
When you start seeing blossoms (see photo below) on your zucchini plants it's time to harvest them. At approximately 4 to 5 weeks is the magic number! Harvest time is typically best first thing in the morning.
How to Harvest Zucchini Blossoms
First, you’ll need to identify the male from the female zucchini blossoms. I’m going to get scientific here for a moment so please bear with me. Do you know what a stamen is? Look in the middle of the flower, there’s a long stem-like coming out of it which is covered with pollen (check out the picture below) - the arrow is pointing at the stamen.
What's the Difference Between a Male and Female Zucchini Blossoms?
The blossoms with the shorter (multiple) stamens in the middle are females, whereas, the ones with the longer (single) stems are males. Also, look at the back of the flower ~ the one with a rounder base is the female. That round base will eventually be what you know as the zucchini plant. The male blossom will not have this, but instead, you'll just see one long stem attached to the blossom. Easy!
How Do Zucchini Blossoms Taste?
They taste much like a zucchini in that they're very mild and fresh in flavor with a slight sweetness to it.
Is there a Difference in Flavor Between Male and Female Zucchini Blossoms?
There’s no difference in flavor between a male or female blossom, BUT, one thing to remember, when harvesting out the female ones, you’ll have less zucchini to harvest later on, since it will not be able to pollinate. So be sure to leave a few.
- Zucchini Blossoms
- Naan bread (or whatever pizza crust you want to use)
- Olive Oil
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Parmesan Cheese
How To Make This Dish
You have the option of chopping or using the blossoms whole on your pizza. I chopped mine. They cook down, so in this recipe I used twelve zucchini blossoms.
On a skillet over medium heat, I added olive oil, then sautéed garlic and onions for just a few minutes, enough to caramelize them. Added the zucchini blossoms until they wilt, about two minutes.
Placed all the sautéed ingredients on top of the naan bread, topped with mozzarella cheese, and put in a 350-degree oven for 5-7 minutes, or until the cheese has melted. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and serve! YUM!
Zucchini blossoms are delicate - use a pastry brush to gently brush the dirt off from the plant.
Since these blossoms are so delicate, try to cook and eat them the same day you harvest or purchase them. If necessary, store them in the refrigerator for no more than a day or so.
Harvest time for zucchini blossoms - is best early in the morning. Be sure to leave a few so they continue to pollinate.
📖 Recipe Card
- 12 Zucchini blossoms chopped, optional
- 1 Tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 clove Garlic chopped
- ½ cup Onion chopped
- 4 Naan bread
- Mozzarella cheese sliced or shredded
- Parmesan cheese shredded
- Harvest. Clean. Chop or leave whole your zucchini blossoms.
- On a skillet over medium heat, add olive oil. Sauté and caramelize garlic and onions for about two minutes, then add the zucchini blossoms until they wilt.
- Top the naan bread with the sautéed ingredients and add mozzarella cheese before placing it in a 350-degree oven. Cook for 5-7 minutes, or until the cheese has melted. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and serve! ENJOY!
- Use whole or shredded mozzarella cheese. Fresh mozzarella is best!
- Add optional toppings: fresh basil, dried red pepper flakes, oregano, anchovies, or any other pizza toppings you like.
- Zucchini blossoms have a delicate squash flavor and a soft, velvety texture. So keep this in mind when adding other ingredients to your pizza.
Hello and welcome, friend! I'm Jocelyn, the recipe developer, food photographer + stylist here at JOZmahal. As a Food & Nutrition major, I keep healthy and nutritious ingredients at the core of my recipe creations. I love to cook delicious and healthy meals for my family and friends. And I am so grateful that you are here as I hope to inspire and empower you to make all these delicious and healthy foods at home for your family and friends as well. Every recipe you will find here is quick and simple to make using fresh and natural ingredients that you can easily find at your local grocery store if not online. Read more about me here...
PS: If you try any of my recipes please use the tag #JOZmahalrecipes and you may be featured in my upcoming posts! ~ cook with love, my friend!